Is the weather fit for sailing?
Passing away of Mr Jack Corrin
Mulled Wine event Port Erin
Enjoy Your Sail
ENJOY YOUR SAIL ON "Pride of Mann III"
If it’s your first time sailing, or the weather forecast is ‘variable’ here are a
few hints and tips to help you enjoy your sail!
- Have a light evening meal the night before, avoiding spicy dishes excessive alcohol, and anything that may cause your digestive system to work harder!
- Have clothing that will give you two or three layers; it may be sunny in harbour but chilly out at sea. The SFTD skipper will provide you with foul weather gear to wear over your clothes
- By all means have a sea sickness pill, preferably the night before, and again in the early morning of your sail as an ‘insurance policy’. You’ll probably then think you didn’t need them;- great!
- Pack the most un-necessary item you’ll never need, a plastic or paper bag. If you have one you’ll worry far less about needing one!
- Pack easily digestible food that will give you energy rather than indigestion. It’s often better to eat little during the trip, and then feel ravenous when you step ashore.
- A pack of ginger biscuits or ginger sweets help some people and could help you!
- If you do feel ’queasy’ don’t go below, you’re likely to feel worse.
- If you do feel unwell focus on the horizon, the shore or another distant object forward of the boat, rather than the next large wave; your eyes will see a smoother seascape and your stomach will act accordingly
- If you are sick, bend down from a seated position and use your bag; you’ll feel less embarrassed and we’ll all hardly notice!